Wednesday, February 10, 2010

The white out & a snow bank

So, I guess you should probably know that I made it up to Northern VA safe and sound. I got here late afternoon on Monday and worked for a few hours in the office. My drive up here wasn't too bad, although I did hit a lot of ice as soon as I got up to Fairfax County! The drive was a little emotional however, because every time I've taken the drive up to NoVa I've done it knowing I was going to return home eventually. This time I knew it was for good, and that was a little scary to face for about an hour of the drive. The Lord calmed me down though, and luckily I made it to the office safe and sound, despite the little bit of sliding I did on the icy roads.. yuck! I think what made the drive worse was that I had my car packed to the brim with my life, and stuff kept falling on me and obstructing my vision as it moved around.

Yesterday was my first full day in the office and I have to admit, I really enjoyed it. It is so nice to be a part of a team again, all assembling together and working to complete one task. I am honestly very excited to begin this new ministry with the rest of the Reston Bible youth team. Meeting with the 5 other youth staff members in the morning for our planning meeting was where I realized that maybe I can do this. I mean, obviously I can, because I'm here and I'm doing it, but sometimes its hard for me to actually believe that I am ready. But I know I am, the Lord keeps revealing that to me, I just need to accept the encouragement already!

Obviously the blizzard here has not ceased, and we're all snowed in yet again today. It's about 2pm and the snow is still going strong! A lot different than what I'm used to, that's for sure. I'm definitely not a fan. Yesterday I had quite an adventure on my way to work in the morning.. to say the least. I was about halfway there and my car lost traction on the 2-inch ice they call road, and my car spun around into a snow bank! Don't worry, my car is okay, and I am too. Luckily there were 3 trucks behind me, all with men in them, who happened to have shovels. They immediately helped me get my car out and on to work. Needless to say, I may have been okay, but boy was I embarrassed! I could have died. The Lord sure had my back.

The snow started pouring out of the sky starting at around 4:30 yesterday while I was in the office, and by the time I left around 6pm the roads already had about an inch, especially since they weren't completely plowed to begin with! On the way home I didn't wreck again, fortunately, but I did get stuck at one point. My car just wouldn't make it up one of the hills on a side street. I kind of had a minor freak out session, where I completely broke down crying and asking God what am I supposed to do?! I don't know anyone here that I could call and get me out! But God shushed me up real quick and I just stopped, thought about it for a minute, backed my car down the hill, and tried again. And guess what... it worked! I was free, and I made it home safe!!! Now, I looked outside this morning & wondered where my car went. Then I realized that the snow whited it out.

2 comments:

  1. Hey girl! Wow, so I'm glad you're ok. Where in NOVA are you? My brother and his wife live in Reston. I'm not sure if you've met them, but they are totally chill and would love it if you called them or FB them to get together. You can find them through my FB if you want.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I live in Great Falls, but work in Reston at Reston Bible Church. That's awesome.. I will totally look them up!!

    ReplyDelete