Thursday, February 25, 2010

Think about it.

I was driving to work this morning, and I heard an ad on the radio for a Scientology church in DC. Of course they said "we would love to meet you" and "there is a place for you here" like most advertisements for a church would say. The interesting thing about this ad, besides the fact that it was promoting Scientology, was the way they invited people. They introduced themselves by saying "I know you've probably heard about us, but we want you to find out for yourselves," or something like that. The man then proceeded to list off a few times during the week that people can come for a tour and an introduction into what they are all about. He also gave the service times, but said to "come and learn about us" before they attend a service.

When I heard this I thought to myself, "this advertisement is kind-of appealing." If I didn't have Christ in my life, I would probably want to go and check it out. I mean, you'd get a download of their beliefs before you get involved. I almost wish that churches offered an "introduction and tour," kind of like one that you'd get when you visit a college. It would basically be asking people to come and hear the story of what Christ did on the cross for them. People would be coming to find out what God's love is all about. They are getting something that they wouldn't necessarily get if they visited one of the weekly services.

"I know you've probably heard a lot about Christianity, but we want you to find out for yourselves. We won't require you to sit through one of our services, but we'll take you through our beliefs in one short introduction. We just want to get to know you. Come check us out, see what we're all about, and then you decide where to go from there."

This is how we should be with our faith every day. How are you advertising your faith to others? Think about it..

No comments:

Post a Comment