These lessons I have been learning have been partially extracted from my readings in First Timothy. Recent happenings in my life have also contributed to these, mostly involving a few personal struggles & broken relationships.
Since I have moved here to Reston to come on staff at RBC, I have seen & met many examples of a Godly man, much like I believe Paul was after his conversion. Whenever Paul gives advice about godliness to those he writes to in his letters, I always strive to extract this wisdom from Scripture. Paul writes in 1 Timothy 2 about Godly men & women, & what they should strive to exemplify. He says in verse 8 that "in every place the men should pray, lifting holy hands." I see it so much in this place: men of valor praying for their brothers & sisters in Christ. Where was that in college? Where was that among the halls of my Christian University?
And the dilemma even continues into the kids lives that I minister to on a daily basis who come from such broken homes - where are these men in the household? Where are these fathers & brothers?
This dilemma has caused me to realize that this kind of man is the one I want leading my future household. This is the kind of man that I want to raise up in my own family & that I'd like to see my future daughters come to marry someday. This is the kind of man that I hope the youth in our youth group are learning from & growing up to be, even if they don't have one modeled in their home.
If you are a man, this is the type of man that I hope you will strive to become.
No comments:
Post a Comment